Thursday, July 22, 2010

What's up with crazy reprint prices?

This is a venting blog... I was just sitting here thinking that I really need to put a "portraits" section on my website so clients know what my sitting fee is, length, location, etc. This brought to mind that most customers probably want to know how much they will pay to purchase the images they already paid to have taken.... which brought to mind the mindblowing knowledge that some photographers really enjoy gouging their customers!

I've heard of photographers who only give you an online proofing gallery for a week... (a WEEK!). How is anyone supposed to make photo decisions in just a week? I have a hard enough time getting all of our laundry done each week. Add to it working, running a household, and finding even a few minutes of personal time to catch up on the latest celebrity gossip... I personally wouldn't be able to figure out all of my order needs in just a week. It's obvious these photographers are playing off of people's excitement when they get their proofs, which perhaps is smart, but I still find a little disturbing/unethical/used-car-salesmanny.

Second, what's up with the crazy reprint prices? There's nothing I hate more than being nickled and dimed....nothing. Like, the airline industry is my biggest foe. Pretty soon here I'm going to be chillin with my baggage in the dark just to save $20. Anyway, I digress... over the past year or so I've come across some photographers charging upwards of $35, $45... I've even seen $60 for the first print (this is for a tiny print). This is price gouging at its worst! Who can swallow paying $60 for a single 4x6 print? Do these photographers not want their customers to order prints? Isn't that the whole point of having pictures taken by a professional??? so that you can enjoy them afterwards? I just don't get it. Make your money up front, and let the ordering process be a palatable experience for your client, not a "blood-pressure-going-up with every click" experience.

Ladies and gents, my reprints start at $2. Yes, two bucks!

No comments: